Job Title: Finance Director
Salary: Dependent on Qualifications
Summary: This position is responsible for the delivery of effective and efficient accounting and financial systems, policies and processes that meet the current and future requirements of the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Revenue Collection: Coordinate with local, state and federal agencies charged with collection and disbursement of all City revenues, including taxes, assessments, fees, charges and other impositions. Prepare monthly financial reports showing revenues and expenses to date in comparison with budget predictions.
Capital Program Administration: Coordinate with the City Manager and other City staff or consultants as directed by the City Manager on the capital needs of the City. Assist the City in obtaining financing if necessary and maintain proper fund accounting procedures.Administer and assist the City Manager in implementing capital program financing.
Investment Administration: Prepare investment policies and procedures pursuant to Florida law and the City Charter. Invest City funds pursuant to approved policies.
Produce timely investment reports stating the effectiveness of the chosen investment policy.
Accounting System: Establish and maintain Accounting System in compliance with Governmental Accounting Standards Board, the Uniform Accounting System prescribed by the Florida Department of Banking, Finance for Government Accounting and the Rules of the Auditor General and any other applicable state and federal regulations.
Prepare Public Depositor’s Report and distribute to State Treasurer. Work with the City’s IT Department to recommend accounting software appropriate for the City’s accounting needs.
Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable: Administer the purchase order system and any system maintained for the payment of vendors under contract with the City including payment of invoices of City vendors. Coordinate sales, use and ad valorem tax collection, including franchise fees, utility taxes, simplified communications service tax and all other City receivables and fees.
General Fixed Asset Accounting: Account for assets constructed by or donated to the City for maintenance.Maintain inventory of City property in accordance with the Rules of the Auditor General.
Budget:Prepare the City’s annual operating and capital budgets for the City Manager.Liaison with all City departments for annual budget categories.Provide materials for and attend all budget meetings, hearings and workshops. Submit all required documentation to the Department of Revenue and provide all necessary reports for public advertisements and public hearings.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and Audit: Prepare the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for Units of Local Government and distribute to the State Comptroller. Assist the City’s auditors by providing requested information to the auditors including meeting with auditors to ensure that the auditors are provided all necessary documents to prepare the City’s annual audit.
• Attendance at all City Council Meetings
• Attendance at all City Staff Meetings
• Attendance at any meeting at the request of the City Manager.
• Ability to make daily runs to City Hall.
• Ability to make daily deposits at the City’s banking institutions.
• Hold an active certified public accountants license (CPA) with the State of Florida for the last 5 years.
• 5 years of experience in upper management of a governmental finance department.
• Experience in preparing municipal budgets
• Experience with Truth In Millage (TRIM) compliance
• Experience in preparing a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
• Experience with Federal and State single audit requirements.
• Working knowledge of grant accounting administration.
• Experience with obtaining Government Finance Officers Association(GFOA) awards
• Working knowledge of governmental accounting and GASB pronouncements.
• Experience in obtaining and maintaining covenants of capital project financing. Including experience with bridge loans and the state revolving loan program.
• Working knowledge of construction accounting, specifically reviewing contractor’s requests for payments, including retainage, stored materials and change orders.
• Experience with the State of Florida lien laws and payment and performance bonds.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.Successful applicants must undergo a drug test, driver’s license and background check. E.O.E, Drug Free Workplace. Veterans preference given.
Email resume, application, three letters of professional recommendation and proof of education to HR@ci.marathon.fl.us or fax to 305-289-4143.
Click here for employment application.