Click here for Permit/Inspection Status

Contractor Licensing:

How long in a permit valid?
Work shall be considered to be in active progress when the permit has received an approved inspection within 180 days.  Every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced within 6 months after its issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 6 months after the time the work is commenced.

How do I receive an extension?
One or more extensions of time for of not more than 90 days each may be allowed by the Building Official provided the extension is requested in writing and justifiable cause is demonstrated.

How do I close an expired permit?

Option #1
If the project was complete then the owner can apply for a administrative permit ($30.00 each) to enable an inspector to visit the site for life and safety issue and if approve this will close out the permit.

Option #2
If the project is not complete or not approved then a new permit must be applied for by a licensed contractor will have to obtain a permit and inspection approvals to close the permit.

How do I obtain pre-power approval?
The owner / contractor shall submit to the Building Official for approval a signed and notarized pre-power agreement, which may be obtained from the Building Department, or the forms section of this Web site.  Upon approval of the application by the Building Official the Florida Keys Electric Co-op with be notified.

When is a Certificate of Occupancy required?
A Certificate of Occupancy is required when a change is made in the occupancy, nature or use of a building or part of a building.

How much will the permit cost?
Fees are established as fixed, or based on the estimated total cost of the project, or based on the total square footage of the project,depending on the type of permit.  A copy of the fee schedule can be accessed on this Web site, or may be obtained from the Building Department for a nominal charge.

Plans Coordination:

How many sets of plans do I need to submit for review?
Three (3) set of plans are needed for new construction, development agreement projects, and any in water work; two (2) set of plans for all other work.

Do my plans have to be signed and sealed?
Most plans must be signed and sealed by an architect or engineer.  Contact Plans Coordination at (305) 289-4105 for information on exceptions.


How does my job get inspected?

All permitted construction must be inspected and you must call or email to schedule your inspection.
During normal business hours, please call directly to 305-289-4133.
Fill out the Inspection Request Form and submit
At any time email

Inspections received prior to 3PM will be scheduled for the following business day.

Ensure the following information is included in your request:
1. Permit or Project Number
2. Type of Inspection needed
3. Date the Inspection  is to be performed
4. Contractor’s Name and Phone Number
5. Owner’s Name and Phone Number
6. Address of Job Site

Inspections called in after 3 p.m. will be performed within the next two business days.

In order to expedite the inspection, contractors and/or homeowners are asked to ensure that the building is posted with clearly visible numbers for identification.

What is the arrival time of the inspector?
Because of the volume of inspections, we are unable to provide an estimated time of arrival for inspectors; however, their normal field hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  If the inspection has been carried over from the previous work day, the inspection is generally completed first thing in the morning.

Does someone need to be there when the inspector arrives?
If the inspection requires the inspector to enter your building or there are animals on the property, someone must be there to meet the inspector.

For all owner/builder permits, the owner must be present for all inspections.

How can I find out the results of my inspection?
The first place to check for this information is the yellow card which is posted on the inspection site or a pink slip is left at the job site.

Inspection results are entered into the computer the day after the inspection.  You can check online here: or call the Building Department at (305) 743-0033 for an updated.

If the inspection failed, any additional information must be obtained from the inspector or the written rejection slip located at the job site.


What information do customers need to pull a permit?

The Real Estate / Parcel ID number is required.  The number may be obtained from the Property Appraiser’s Office or at their website . The number may be found on your annual property assessment statement, on your homestead exemption registration card, or verified through this office.

Proof of ownership must also be verified either through the Property Appraiser’s Office or the Warranty Deed.

The home owner is responsible for knowing what type of permit is needed and having the appropriate information to complete the application.


Contractors must be State or County licensed and registered in The City of Marathon and Monroe County.

The Real Estate / Parcel ID number is required.

Proof of ownership must also be verified either through the Property Appraiser’s Office or the Warranty Deed.

Why cannot home owners pull permits on rental property?
In order to receive an exemption to Chapter 489 Florida Statutes, which requires the use of a licensed contractor to do the work, the residence MUST be for the use and occupancy of the homeowner only.  It may not be built for sale or lease.

How long does it take to get a permit?
For a mechanical change out permit, approximately 15minutes; for other permit types it depends on the scope of work and the amount of plan review required.

Why does the customer have to fill out a new application when a permit has expired?
When a permit expires, it is marked expired in the system and no inspection can be performed.  To do inspections, a new permit must be issued.  To issue a new permit, a new application must be completed.  If a new permit is not obtained within 180 days from the date the initial permit became null and void, the building official is authorized to require that any work which has been commenced or completed be removed from the building site. Alternately, a new permit may be issued on application, providing the work in place and required to complete the structure meets all applicable regulations in effect at the time the initial permit became null and void and any regulations which may have become effective between the date of expiration and the date of issuance of the new permit.

Records Request:

How do I make a records request?
A request may be submitted, in writing, by phone, or in person to:
City Clerk’s Office
The City of Marathon
9805 Overseas Highway
Marathon, Florida 33050

email or you can also fill out an online public request form here.
The request should include as much information as possible; the specific type of record or information you wish to review; the tax or parcel identification number of the property; information in which we can contact you to let you know when your request is ready.

Requests are processed in the order they are received and as soon as possible; however, more time maybe required due to the nature of the request or the number of requests currently being processed.